Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Training session, round 2!

So earlier today I established that Lilly is going to take a very gentle touch and to keep things fun and very positive. Right now I'm going to just stick with some tv training... very short sessions during commercial breaks. It's plenty of time to make the point without overloading Lilly and reinforces the idea that she's not the dog that I'm going to run a training session and expect to be able to cover multiple concepts in such a short time like I used to be able to do with Clue.

Earlier I was working on touch. I tend to like to charge the clicker in two ways. First I will give several click and treats ((and I have done a couple sessions of straight charging just to get her to catch on)) but then i quickly move in to introducing a concept. My favorite thing to jump into is teaching to touch the dogs nose to the end of a target stick because you can make it easy, the clicker is your marker and then you reward. I personally have found that it speeds things along. I presented Lilly with the target and the first touches were tentative, but after that as soon as she swallowed a treat her nose went right back for that target for another click and treat! Smart girl! I ended on that good note and now that she is offering the behavior, next training session we will introduce the cue!

No comments:

Post a Comment