Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Life with Lilly

First off, I want to blame ((which coincidently is also a big thank you)) Jennifer K. for starting this. It all started after class when she said something to the effect of "I know someone who has a dog available". Well the more she talked, the more this little dog interested me and sounded like she might fit what I was looking for in a dog. ((The only thing I had never considered in all my searching was a female as I've always gravitated toward male animals)).

Before I launch much farther into this tale I also want to extend the biggest of thank yous to Neal S. and Emily L., Lilly's breeders, for giving me the chance to share my life with such a neat little dog.

So after talking to Brian ((my boyfriend)) I spent the next day deep in thought. I ended up making the phone call. I was amazed that this little dog sounded exactly like what I was looking for. And the best part? She was my favorite color of sheltie... black tri! I decided to not hold the fact she was female against her and give her fair consideration and I was truly blown away when I met her. My last dog was fearful and shy and that's what I was most concerned about ending up with again. And I told myself over and over that with an older dog ((Lilly is almost 15 months)) I can't necessarily expect her to jump into my lap the minute I meet her. Come Saturday, when I did finally meet her, she didn't jump into my lap but she was certainly curious about me. She came up for treats and let me pet her. There was something about the way she looked at me that really clicked. From what I was being told and what I could see, I knew I couldn't walk away.

Needless to say, Lilly came home with me. We detoured by Petsmart ((where I work back in the Salon and soon will be teaching classes again)) to pick up some of the basics like a sheltie sized crate, a bag of food and a few other necessities that were funded by the tips I have been making since I started. That really felt good. The more she has settle in, the more of a spring in her step I see. She is already Queen of the Couch and even as I type this she is sitting next to me and beign the recipient of random petting and treats. She's great with the cats but my biggest concern was how she would react to my 11 month old son. I don't let him terrorize animals, but small kids seem to always have the volume turned all the way up. Plus as far as we knew, Lilly hasn't been around small kids. My concern was blown away completely yesterday morning when Boogie was crying and I laid him on his big cushion on the floor to change his diaper. Lilly came out of her crate and over onto Boogie's cushion to sniff him and make sure he's ok. We're reinforcing "gentle" with the boy and nothing he does phases her at all. Laughing, crying, screeching and even his "growling" and regarded with interest and not the first bit of fear. All I can say is "What a special little dog!"

Yesterday was also my first adventure with my little black sheltie. Since it was my day off, we went in to work to use the facilities to clean her up. Lilly got a flea bath ((I could go on forever about how much I love the Sentry tropical breeze flea shampoo)) and then got a second shampooing in a Ultra Shine ((a brightening shampoo)) and then conditioner. Then I set up shop on one of the tables in the back and went to town brushing and trimming. Mostly linebrushing to work out some of the undercoat she's blowing because she is just coming into season. Go figure, my first intact female and the first thing she does is come into heat. Trial by fire, haha! A pair of bitchy britches is saving my couch cushions and I'm otherwise not worried about it. Her trip to the salon has left her so silky soft and smelling good that I can barely keep my hands off of her. We opted to swing by the barn and return my mum's scissors that I had borrowed because mine are in dire need of sharpening. Not only did Lilly meet Ice the border collie, she came face to face with Cajun the horse! Cajun thought little Lilly was pretty neat and she watched him curiously but didn't bat much of an eye. Once again I repeat "What a special little dog!"

I can't wait to travel down the road with this little black dog. Right now we're working on her basic obedience and going to get her more and more comfortable going out and being in places like Petsmart because down the road she will go with me to work to be my demo dog when I'm teaching! This fall when the weather cools off we will be starting agility. After years of running 16"/20"/22"/24" dogs, I will have a 12" dog! That blows my mind. Lilly is smart as can be and I'm certain she can excel in tracking too. I thoroughly believe there is nothing that can truly hold this little girl back and the sky is the limit. She will let me know if she is unhappy doing something and then we will find something else to try.

Lilly has been here for several days and I'm still on cloud 9 with no signs of ever coming down. She has a home where she will be the center of attention and spoiled and will always have a place on the couch. And she has a future where she will be able to shine and turn heads and be a Superdog. So here's to putting the best foot forward as I embark on a grand adventure with this amazing little black sheltie at my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment